If it were my nominal client, not one that pays a monthly recurring license
fee, I would call my Legal Counsel to see what loan instruments (it is
essentially a loan, after all) can be hammered out, how collection can be
enforced, what you must do to legally charge interest within the bounds of
your state's usury laws, how to word the loan agreement, your potential
exposure if the client does flat-line (more on that below), etc.  Then I
would attach the legal fees you incurred to the cost of loaning the value of
your parlayed billings.

Be certain to include any "penalty clause" in the agreement in case payment
does not come forth, so instead of getting just a flat piece of equity it
would be an increased percentage of equity.  The more you flex in repayment,
the higher your level of equity involvement.  Of course, having equity in a
company that could flat-line on you may not be a good idea.  But if you help
them out with their cash crunch, and they "over-float" your loan to them,
you ought to get a bit more in value back for their increased value of
getting the added float from you.  That seems less harsh than calling it a
penalty for not paying on time, eh?

I would also consider how busy I was at the moment.  If you need additional
work it may be worth the toss of the coin.  If you are buried then it may
not make sense to take the risk.  I would have to take into consideration,
as you did, the past relationship.

In my particular case I would also have to take into consideration a
multi-year relationship I had engaged in where a company I was providing
commercial services to filed for bankruptcy on 12/31/2006 (their market went
flat, direct mail for mortgage companies).  That left me on the hook for
$2,500, and an associate for $5,000.  I had the opportunity to exchange
money owed for equity in a partnership.  Luckily I opted to not do that,
otherwise it is possible his creditors could have come after me despite the
credit being "pre-Gil" or not.  Whether they could have legally collected
from me or not is not so much the issue.  It would have been more a matter
of the grief and expense of fending off an assault to begin with.

Good luck!

Gil