Cool setup with a 1.6Tb NAS device.  I have not tried to centralize to that
point yet.  I have about 14 external USB2 HDD units that have between 300Gb
and 500Gb each.  There is a parallel set of the same drives off-site.  Every
month I rotate between the units on-site and off-site, so if anything
terrible happened to our home I would lose no more than 1-2 months of data.
The upside to having individual units for backup is I spread the risk of a
backup unit failure, but I also have more units that could fail <g>.  Also,
my backups run pretty darned fast as the signals are not fired over the LAN
(100vg, no packet collisions, very fast net throughput).  But the thought of
having a single unit to swap monthly is also intriguing as it is a PITA to
swap 14 devices each month.  Takes the better part of a 1/2 day to make
certain everything is working as expected.  The suitcase I transport & store
the off-site units in is also pretty heavy when loaded up <g>...  This
system has worked well for me for quite some time, with an image blown per
PC weekly, one full file-by-file backup weekly, and incremental backups the
remainder of the week.  I rest easily re: data loss exposure.

Gil