Are there any ways to optimize UNION performance - in general or with an
Oracle 8.17 backend?

I have 5 data sets that I need to merge via a UNION and the time to its
to build each set individually is 9 secs but the time it takes to build
the same set of data and union together into a single set is 33 seconds.

The total set size is 1M of records with the largest set being unioned
being about 750K.

I've tried rearranging the position of the big data set in the union
process, but this does not affect performance.

Any tips or am I just seeing what's pretty much standard overhead for
performing unions.

Thanks,
Malcolm