On Feb 7, 2007, at 12:33 AM, Pete Theisen wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 12:57 pm, Robert Calco wrote:
>
>> I'm taking a new
>> job at the end of this month with ostensibly more humane hours. The
>> position will be Domain Architect in charge of Application Design &
>> Frameworks at Publix IS in Lakeland, FL.
>
> Hi Bob!
>
> I worked for Publix for a long time. Back then if you wanted an IS
> position
> you had to start as a bagger.

On the other hand, if you are a FoxPro programmer today, they'll
promote you right to bagger.

(Boy am I going to take some heat for that one...Just kidding folks!)

;-)

I think they hired me primarily because I'm close by, either that or
they were desperate. ;)

It was actually the shortest candidate cycle I ever went through---
precisely one week from phone call to in-person interview (OK, I had
to wait about 3 weeks before they noticed my resume in the virtual
upload stack, but still), and I got the offer right after the
interview before I went home.  I've never had that happen before,
least of all at a big company like Publix. Good offer, too. I think
it was God's way of saying, yea, I'd like to you see your kids before
they grow up, too.

- Bob