Adam Smith on "the invisible hand":

But there are many misconceptions about the invisible hand, starting
with the belief that Smith himself was a absolute believer in it. In
fact, he was not. Smith actually viewed merchants with great suspicion:

/"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and
diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public,
or in some contrivance to raise prices."

/Another misconception is that the invisible hand is a form of
individualism. It would be hard to call the actions of a baker who
spends all day baking bread for strangers "individualism." A more
accurate word is /exchange,/ and it represents a balance between
individualism and collectivism, even if that exchange is ultimately
self-interested. True individualism is taking from the group without
giving anything back; true collectivism is giving to the group without
getting anything back. Seen in this light, the exchange inherent in the
invisible hand should deserve the full and enthusiastic endorsement of
liberals.

Unfortunately, today's conservatives have corrupted the meaning of
Smith's term. They use it to suggest that the pursuit of self-interest
in the economy will always (or almost always) result in group benefit,
and that individuals should feel free to pursue it.