The Neoconservatives attacked Iraq despite some very good advice from
Coin Powell.   He repeatedly warned GW2B that if he broke Iraq, he was
going to own it, so its not like the Administration was clueless about
the risks involved; because Colin Powell knew full well that secretarian
violence and civil war was likely if Saddam were removed, as did
leadership in the DOD, Pentagon, and Military that were advising Colin
Powell.

The Plan was really simple.  It involved taking Saddam out and then
filling the power vacuum with a Shiite elected president who would be
beholden to the US and its interest in the middle east region.  Since
the Shiite made up the vast majority of the Iraq population, the
Administration assumed national elections would be no problem.  Good
plan, right?  Perhaps not.

Now there is a great struggle in Iraq envolving the US military, Shiite,
Sunni, and Kurds, as to who will full the power vacuum left from
Saddam's removal.  Should the violence and contention for power spill
over beyond the Iraq borders, into the greater middle east and Persians
gulf region as a whole, the population numbers between Shiite and Sunni
would change dramatically, so that 85% of the population will be Sunni
and only 15% of the population will be Shiite.

If the violence goes regional it's going to be a whole new ball game.

Regards,

LelandJ