Michael,

There are four settings for Automatic Updates:

Automatic: Updates are downloaded automatically, and installed at the
specified time (default is 3AM)

Download: Updates are downloaded, but not installed until you say OK

Notify: You are notified that updates are available, but you must download
and install them.

Turn Off: No automatic updates. You must use Windows Update to check for
updates.

Microsoft Update (the update to Windows Update, which I guess we could call
Windows Update Update) requires Automatic Updates be turned ON.

If Automatic Updates are on, and your computer is running at the time of day
for installs to occur, the installs will occur.

I don't know of any setting that allows you to *ignore* reboots, except for
the manual update method, which allows you to Restart Now or Restart Later.

Kevin