On 2/17/07, Ted Roche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/17/07, Paul Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Something that really annoys me about SourceSafe:
> >

> Lots of things annoy me about SourceSafe. That's why I wrote the book,
> did a dozen presentations, and wrote several white papers.
>
> > I made a small EXE for comparing 2 DBFs.  All it does is opens the 2
> > files, LISTs them to 2 text files and runs Windiff.
>
> It's not clear to me what this has to do with SourceSafe. Are you
> talking about Windiff the commercial product or the diffing functions
> of SourceSafe?

Windiff is external.  It's the one that came with Visual Studio 6 IIRC
but you can download it for free here:
http://www.grigsoft.com/download-windiff.htm

> > Works great.  I
> > can view the history of a DBF and quickly see what has changed between
> > versions.
>
> So, you're checking in text versions of DBFs into SourceSafe?

No, binaries.  These are system files that rarely change.

> > However this works for *.DBF but not *.dbf! (or vice-versa, depending
> > what I put in the config).  I can't create 2 file associations because
> > the config won't allow duplicates.
>
> I'm not sure what you're doing with file associations? Which config
> file? Sounds like a problem with case-sensitive processing on a
> case-insensitive OS, a real Windows bugaboo.

In VSS you can tell it what viewer & diff program to use for different
filetypes.
e.g. for *.DBF the viewer is vfp9.exe

However, VSS is case sensative over the extensions!  So for *.dbf it won't work!

--
Paul