john harvey wrote:
> You forgot to mention all those lovely config files!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Seriously... the text files are wonderful.

I had a situation many years ago where I was trying out a desktop and
moved the panel to the side and then selected some option (I forget
which now). Something weird happened and I couldn't get it to open up
again. Restarting the GUI and rebooting the box - neither set the panel
back to where I wanted.

If this had been Windows, I would have had to hack the Registry, if I
could get to it, and pray that I could figure out what the right value
was (not too many Registry entries have comments that describe what the
values means, do they?) it worked, because, let's face it, the Registry
can be... troublesome. The normal solution would be "Oh, well, gotta
reinstall."

With Linux, I rebooted to runlevel 1, opens up a text editor, edited the
config file that controlled the startup placement of the panel, set it
back to the original setting (what was the value.... oh yeah, it's
documented right here in the config file, imagine that!), and started
the GUI. Problem solved.

When I got home, I filed a bug report with bugzilla, and was informed of
the progress of the bug and heard when it was fixed.

Oh yeah, I'd only been using Linux for a few months at the time...

When's the last time you filed a bug report with Windows? Gotten an
acknowledgment back from the dev team? Heard about when it was fixed?
Don't everyone raise your hands at once...

Whil