> Bill,
> I have tried to do something similar (actually it was
> laziness - the user wanted a field 'decoded' and I couldn't
> be **sed to change the grid). I just change the tooltiptext,
> but like you I was disappointed to find that the user has to
> click somewhere in the row before the tip is displayed.

Andy, as you can see from Dave's post, he has a solution in mind, so if
it's still of interest to you, you may want to try the code he posted. I
think he is pointing to the key ingredient with the ACTIVECELL mention.
While it wouldn't work for me in a quick test, I think I may have been a
glitch away from getting it to work.

Bill