> I'm saying that we can solve this problem without:
>
> 1. throwing the baby away with the bathwater
> 2. giving up something of incalculable value: unfettered, untracked,
> anonymous access to the system
> 3. feeding an 'information mountain' that can be selectively drawn from
> by an authority who has decided he/she doesn't like you because you're
> interfering with his/her authority.
>

>>      Remember how this thread got started? Someone thought I (or my
>> server) was sending out these dangerous emails?
>
> Yes, the spam problem, enlarged to include dangerous emails; but
> essentially a problem involving someone out there sending something to
> your inbox that you don't want there.
 >
> The question is "how do we stop that from happening"?

I see your two desires - unfettered, untracked, anonymous access - and
the ability to stop folks who are abusing the system - as mutually
exclusive.

If I can access 'the system' anonymously, then I can send out spam and
you can't find (thus, stop) me.

> First of all, regardless of what happens next, we need a rule that says
> we have a right to not be subjected to unwanted advertising,
> solicitations and dangerous mail. Without that, there is no basis to
> proceed.

Kinda like the advertisements at the front of DVDs. And billboards on
the highways. And full page ads in the newspaper. And banner ads on Web
sites. I don't want any of that...... Oh, wait.

> I will attempt to get past this by saying that, for the most part, rules
> are in place regarding the same situation as it applies to cell phones
> and faxes, which are just different devices that handle digital
> transmissions. Thus, my first proposition would be to institute the same
> mechanics for Internet based digital transmissions (the no-spam list). I
> would hold the relative success with cell phones and faxes is an example
> of an approach that more or less works - at least knocking down the
> volume considerably by getting honest business people who are just
> taking advantage of something that's free and readily available to them.

But the difference is that the sender has to pay for cell phone and fax
spam. Maybe not a lot, but there is still a definitive cost involved.
Spam costs zilch, particularly if you're relying on pwned Windows machines.

> That leaves us with a smaller group to deal with: those who will break
> the rules for their purposes, be they promotional/financial or
> destructive.
>
> At this point, we turn to the ISP's, the Internet license holders who
> are receiving incoming traffic at the local level to respect the shared
> no-spam list within a certain threshold, with their license at risk.

I thought we needed anonymous access... so how is the ISP going to find
me if I'm anonymous? I suspect I'm missing something in your proposal.

I still think a few frequent flyer miles and a box of shells would be
the least expensive and most effective method. /sigh/

Whil