>Similar to the directory problem, sometimes you need to convert a type
>of data into a more abstract element.

Well, that's what I thought I was doing with my compound key of arttype and
artid. They behave as though there is a coordinates table, except that
table doesn't really exist.

>Similarly, you have people entities, but a 'people' can be a person, a
>function (company sales manager) or a group (eby family).

People have data (birthdates, nationality, first, last and middle names)
that bands don't have. I guess I can put in a bunch of extra fields that
will only be used for people. I thought that would violate some kind of
normalization rule. Not that I can actually recognize normality when I see it.

>Yes, it is all good clean fun, until someone loses an eye. Then it's
>good clean one-eyed fun.

That usually happens when one attempts to apply "Red Ryder Normal Form".

Ken