Ed Leafe wrote:
>       Learning is the natural mode for kids. We just call it 'playing'.
> The emphasis on reducing 'learning' to 'performing on standardized
> tests' is a major component of the apathy you see.

This week is the standardized tests at our schools around these parts.
Tons of stress for both the teachers and the students.  I tell you, I
believe it was easier (and better) to be a kid when most of us grew up
as opposed to today.  A kid can't be as much of a kid it seems anymore.
I realize the Asians have raised the bar on education (have been doing
that for years, iirc) but has it really come to this?  Isn't there a
better way to educate these kids?  Aaah, what do I know....I'm just a
dad (who is glad he's not a kid nowadays).  ;-)