We wrote software for the Army to write and re-write
the disks .  It took severals hours to clean a disk
properly.

Of course if their position was being overrun by the
enemy, they were supposed to place the removables into
a container and burn it with a thermite grenade.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-941240026095721603&q=thermite+grenade