'But would the alternatives run on Linux?'
'Is it open source?'

Please people, go for what business is running. I am assuming they are your
clients, haven't seen that much programming opportunity for the home user in
our world. Once that you realistically look real numbers; something like Mac
= 2% of the business world, Linux - 1% and Windows 97% [just guessing at the
numbers but I haven't seen Linux running on the desktop in any office], the
choices narrow a bit.

VFP doesn't have the code base of other legacy products. COBOL still holds
those reigns with ~75% of all code in production still being in COBOL. The
VB6 folks have mostly migrated to .NET with a few moving to REALBasic and
some small projects still being done in VF6. With the announcement of the
demise of VFP, we now fit into that legacy product. Les face it, the support
date isn't the time that people stop developing, it is the date that the
last version has been announced. Businesses don't typically like to start
large programming projects in dead languages.

Don't rely on the philosophy issues of open source, go where you are needed.
Business has spoken: .NET or for those weird people like me, porting their
old legacy COBOL applications to .NET.

By the time that the Business world does move to Linux on the desktop, COBOL
will be a memory, not code in action working on big iron, and most of the
world would be asking "Should I port my .NET application to Wiziagard?"

jeff fisher, MCP
www.turbofish.com