> The engine I had (Cummins 14 Liter) would generally be ok at 8F if it wasn't
> shut off for too long. Minus 8, however, would make it choke. I would use
> additives all winter, though, because I never really knew where I was going
> or what was coming.

Did you have glow plugs? The glow plugs in my old truck usually worked
fine. The only time I had a little difficulty even with the glow plugs
was when it reached -15 or so once a couple winters ago. I tried to
find an extension for the block heater, but I couldn't find one--
eventually I got it started, though...

Oddly enough, my diesel tractor always started up even in the same
weather without glow plugs-- it just smoked like hell...

--
Derek