“Certainty? In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.” -
Benjamin Franklin

“What men really want is not knowledge but certainty.” - Bertrand
Russell

“The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty
is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.” - Erich Fromm

“Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.” – Voltaire

“Fear comes from uncertainty. When we are absolutely certain, whether
of our worth or worthlessness, we are almost impervious to fear.” -
William Congreve

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/default.asp?Display=96

It also reveals another consequence of certainty – it leads to the
insulation of the belief. If we are certain that something is true
then we must protect the conclusion from falsification. So we meet
challenges to the conclusion with special pleading, with denial, with
ad hominem dismissals, with whatever it takes. We know our conclusion
is true, so anything that calls the conclusion into question must be
false.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com