The last large corporations I worked for:

1) Had a wonderful "long range plan".

Their "long range" plan was to replace their core business software with
the "state of the art" in order to impress Wall St.  This software was
running in FoxPro Dos and FPW with some VFP.  Those of us in the Fox
team suggested that they allow the 11 of us to port all of the software
into VFP.  This would have taken us about a year with no interruption to
ongoing processing.  But no, they knew best so they hired a couple of
hundred of folks to re-write the system in m$'s "latest and greatest"
VB, C, some Java and with SQL server databases.  After spending millions
for over 2 years they dumped the local team, hired an Indian company,
fired them, hired another Indian company then sold themselves to their
major competitor.

Great plan...

2) Had a wonderful "long range plan".

We had created a system in VFP that satisfied their business model from
initial contact through installation and marketing follow up.  We only
had two more small steps -- integrate from the VFP system with their 3D
cad system and to feed Quick Books and would have had an end to end
system that would do the job for the least financial outlay for the
franchises.

But, they hired some corporate IT guy.  This guy decided that the
solution to this relatively small franchise business' IT needs was to go
with bloated, inadequate m$ megasoftware and force the franchises to buy
(or lease) new servers.  Along with all of this would have been a
requirement to retrain the 500 folks out in the field who already knew
how to work with the existing system that was CUSTOM TAILORED TO THE
BUSINESS.

They ended up losing MILLIONS of dollars, fired this clown early (and
had to pay his huge severance) and the franchises are still working with
the original system but they DON'T have the extensions I would have
provided had I not been laid off in favor of m$'s crap.

I have found that all to often "the leaders have a plan" and that since
they are incompetent idiots whose only desire is to please the jerks on
Wall St. to the detriment of their employees and customers -- they
totally f*ck it up and cost many thousands of folks their jobs...

They have "long range plans" and they are generally bullsh*t...

It's been my experience that nearly ALL of the corporations I've worked
for have followed the same path I've just outlined and nearly all of
them are extinct.