Peter Cushing wrote:
> Paul Newton wrote:
>
>> No takers ?  OK is there a general solution to this type of problem:
>>
>> Four counters (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow)
>> 24 distinct ways of arranging them.
>> 1 correct arrangement (say Red, Green, Blue, Yellow)
>> How are the incorrect arrangements distributed (what is the probablity
>> distribution of the incorrect arrangements) based on numer of counters
>> in the wrong position ?
>>
>> For five counters ?
>>
>> For n counters ?
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> We used to do stuff similar to this on my degree course (Applied
> statistics and computing) but that finished in 1991 and I've slept since
> then, so can't remember most of it.  There used to be formulas for
> calculating these probabilities and I remember them using factorials but
> that's about it.
>
> Do you have any ideas on this?

Peter

I sent an enquiry about this problem to the Universities of Oxford,
Cambridge and Bristol (my alma mater).  Only Bristol have replied (so
far).  I would say that the solution is non-trivial but I found it
interesting and pretty much understandable.  I can forward the reply to
you if you are interested.

I studied chemistry from 1971-74 but one-third of the first year was
devoted to mathematics.

Regards

Paul