On 5/21/07, MB Software Solutions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After seeing them used at DisneyWorld some years ago,

That's interesting. What were they used for there?

>  and certainly easier to hold (like a
> video game controller!) as opposed to having to hold a laptop sized
> unit.

It's a LAP-TOP. It's not meant to be held. It's meant to sit on TOP of
your LAP. I get 60-70 wpm that way. I know some texters can do that
with their little thumbpads. I missed the Crackberry phase.

OTOH, truth to be told, the laptop is a desk-top most of the day,
docked to a full sized keyboard and mouse.

>  Then again, look at companies like FedEx/DHL/UPS/USPS--they use
> small devices (don't know if they're considered UMPCs though?) daily for
> tracking purposes.

That's a niche. Guys/gals in uniforms delivering packages in big
painted trucks is probably a couple hundred thousand sales for
someone, with upkeep and maintenance, but isn't a market the size of
YouTube. I think it's a fairly typical move by the hardware companies
continuing to try different form factors in case one catches on.
Compaq and a number of the other companies came out with
micro-desktops at the turn of the century, which I thought was a great
idea: how many of us need full-length cards in our desktops any more?

I worked with a company a few years ago that used TabletPCs for their
field personnel to fill out forms (90% buttons, a few text fields) for
quick submission from field to processing where that time window was
critical. They could justify the cost of expensive machines regularly
dropped, cracked, broken or "lost" by personnel, but I think it really
depends on the business. I cart around my laptop for real work and a
Day-Timer for calendar, notes and contacts.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC