On 6/11/07, Michael Madigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not sure I agree with the Windows marketing plan.
> I can't believe multiple versions, with all the
> confusion it creates, is good for the bottom line.

Whose bottom line?

Of course it is! Microsoft licenses Microsoft Vista Home Basic ("the
Idiot") to OEMs really, really cheap, or Microsoft Home Premium ("the
Idiot with Extras") for a bit more. OEMS send money to Microsoft.
Customers buy the machines, and either reinstall their Microsoft Vista
Business they got throught the Select or MSDN programs, or they buy
the retail version of Ultimate for full price. Microsoft gets paid
twice for the same stuff, get to make outrageous claims about the
number of licenses of Vista "sold" like anyone is actually running it.
Win-win-win means Microsoft wins three times.

The consumer? No, they get screwed. But give them a couple of years,
and they'll do it again. It's like a Golden Goose.

Microsoft. "It's all about the money."

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC