Frank,

I've solved this problem with a "matchcode builder" that parses the name
field from right to left, skipping words in a developed list such as Jr,
Sr, etc. etc. to isolate the last name, which is then copied into the
matchcode field for dupe detection, sorting and presenting address lists
in alphabetic order.

For firm names, I require a flag so the matchcode builder process takes
the 1st, rather then the last, name. The operator has to key this flag
during entry or add it later.

I've done this for a long time now, and am still happy with the
solution, rather then even trying to require the operator to enter fixed
fields. Another angle is that sometimes it's necessary to import address
lists from other sources, which gets back to being able to handle names
and addresses as they would be written on an envelope. Of course if the
addresses being imported are structured some other way, then special
handling to import is required, but I do prefer the natural way.

Bill