> Leaving 'Scan Network Drives' turned on can absolutely cripple networks,
> whether VFP in involved or not.

Agreed, in spades!

There was a software solutions company that had been telling their clients
to remove any AntiVirus apps as they slowed down their Firebird/IE based app
something fierce.  When they installed their app at one of my client
locations, with a much larger database than their other clients, their app
was extremely slow.  They made their initial mistake with me by casting
claims of a defective network simply because we were using 100vg (vg = Voice
Grade, which they said was inferior technology.  VG means ethernet can run
on Cat3 and still provide reliable signals, it screams on Cat5 or higher.
They sure boned their credibility on that.).

Once I proved, using their performance criteria as stated in advance of the
test, the network was fast and reliable they next blamed Symantec AntiVirus.
Sure enough, turning it off helped a tiny bit, but not a lot.  I had already
disabled scanning network drives long before.  Turns out they cache the
ENTIRE set of tables from the Firebird Server to the local PCs when they
first load their app.  Why?  To enhance performance at the desktop level, of
course!.  I still recall the look on the face of their lead designer when I
asked if he was caching all tables locally - he knew he was dead meat.  For
most of their clients the AV apps were scanning all files from the network,
and some of the files were fairly big.  Well, certainly the AV had to be the
problem, not the few hundred Mg of records coming over, whether they are
needed or not!  In my client's case the files were so huge the SAV impact
would have had very little adverse impact anyway.  Ed once told me that even
a good database can be ruined with shitty software design.  Case in point,
eh?

But, still they felt we had to uninstall SAV, and run no protection on any
PCs or Servers, despite my having proven the SAV was not impacting their
application's performance in any practical manner (200+ PCs on the LAN at
the time).  When I said we would toss their app out first, as Federal law
now requires businesses to take reasonable measures to prevent systems from
being compromised along with private consumer data, they redesigned their
app to not cache the largest tables locally, and ended up with a less
terrible app - still slow, but they popped in a larger Server to "fix" that.
It did no good.  Good job, Idiots.

Gil