>If you have a framework, you can build small programs or test code and
>save them in a project for easy retrieval the next day or week.  Then
>you can add functionality a little at a time.  Also, the framework
>usually provide example code, templates, and help files to get someone
>going in a hurry.   A command window is fine, but limited, as the code
>go away when the window is closed.  I believe its better to have
>test/learn code in a file that can be run and debugged.

When I was trying to learn C++ I was fortunate to have Visual Studio 6.0 to
work in. Compared to VFP, the stuff you need for meaningful C++ work is so
much more scattered (separate files for libraries, templates, classes,
etc.), and virtually none of it is available unless expressly included in
your program. Not to mention the lack of anything like the Command Window.
(Though I did like the fact that the debugger could see not only my code
but "all the way to the bottom" of the standard libraries.)

Without that framework organizing it all for me I don't think I would have
coped as long as I did (I had an online "tutor" working with me, but he was
obsessed with math, which I hate--I mean, really, who cares about Fibonacci
sequences?; and I completely lost it when things started getting to the
"pointers to pointers to pointers" stage).

So maybe the complexity of the programming language one is going to learn
determines the value of having a framework or IDE to work with. And for
developers interested in business applications rather than low-level I/O
manipulation, there's got to be a better way to teach people than by making
them fight with trig and advanced algebra.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org