Jeff Johnson <> wrote:

> I also allow for some temporary local storage in addition to network
> storage for the same reason.  Have you ever asked IT for a major
> corporation to restore a file from backup?  Doesn't matter if its SQL
> server or VFP tables, you will not get it in time to be responsive.
>
> My applications are using web services, sending email notifications
> and ftp, connecting to remote databases; but the desktop application
> is the hub for all of the activity.
>
> While this may not be considered "best practices", this is what my
> applications have evolved into and reliability is a key feature.

At my current gig we are talking about much the same thing.  Deliver data in
a webservice style for auto information and keep the local business owner
data local.

This is AutoZone and the brand I deal with is Alldata.

Stephen Russell
DBA / .Net Developer

Memphis TN 38115
901.246-0159

"A good way to judge people is by observing how they treat those who
    can do them absolutely no good." ---Unknown

http://spaces.msn.com/members/srussell/

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:22 PM