On Monday, July 16, 2007 12:35 PM, Matthew Jarvis wrote:

>Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:35:59 -0700
>From: Matthew Jarvis
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Programmatic control of router for log file capture
>
>Joe Yoder wrote:
>> I have a client with an EVDO card and router which provides Internet
>> connectivity.  The combination of the EVDO card and the router has been
>> somewhat flaky.  Recently I discovered that there are things to be learned
>> through monitoring the log file from the device.  The current firmware in
>> the router has no provision to export the log so I am stuck with copying
>> multiple screens to the Windows clipboard and placing them in a Word
>> document if I want to keep a record of the various system states.
>>
>> I believe it should be possible to write code in VFP to log into the router,
>> select the Status page,  the Log page, and finally each individual page in
>> the log.  The code should extract the ASCII text of the log from the HTML
>> and write it to a text file.
>>
>> Has anyone ever done anything like this or have some suggestions or URLs to
>> look at to help me get started?
>>
>> TIA - Joe Yoder
>
>Just in case you didn't know you might be able to do this, but have you
>tried to telnet into the router and poke around? It's amazing what you
>can find when you starting digging around where you aren't supposed
>to...  <g>
>
>I'd think there's gotta be a way to turn on logging or messaging to have
>a feed of data which you could copy/ftp down to your app for a look-over...
>
>Matthew S. Jarvis
>IT Manager
>Bike Friday - "Performance that Packs."
>www.bikefriday.com
>541/687-0487 x140
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I haven't tried the telnet route. What would I do - attempt a telnet
connection to the IP sddress of the router?

The help system on the router (Kyocera/D-Link KR1) indicates there is a
way to Email the log file somewhere but tech support admits that feature
isn't available.  What I really want is to have the system update a
remote log file line by line as events occur as this give a record of
what lead up to a reboot which wipes out the log file.  I'll definitely
try the telnet approach when I get a chance.

Thanks - Joe