So where were you when my kids were young!<G> Now, the youngest is 18 and
all three are losers....(just kidding)

JH

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Whil Hentzen (Pro*)
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:20 PM
To: profox@leafe.com
Subject: Re: [NF] Two kinds of people (this is sort of technical)

John Harvey wrote:
> I tried that. My kids always said "dad, who cares!"

And the correct answer is, "You better, or else you'll end up homeless
or in jail or dead! Nothing good ever came of a kid who didn't know how
their metric system! The world is full of them, and look at them: David
Cassidy, Kenneth Lay, John Stockton, Jerry Falwell, Adolph Hitler, Denny
McClain, Bill Clinton, Lisa Weidenbach.... You don't want to be like any
of them, do you?"

OK, veering back to NF but not OT, having spun through 8 years of math
in high school, it pains me to see my kids struggle with regular math,
and, worse, not being all that interested in it. I do all sorts of
things to attempt to pique their interest....

For example, we have a chart on our frig:

1     1          1
2     4          4
3     9          8
4    16         16
5    25         32
6    36         64
20  400  1,048,576

You wouldn't believe the number of visitors we have who stare at this,
trying to puzzle it out. More than once, someone has looked at this, and
given up, saying, "I know there's a pattern here, but I'm just not
getting it."

What's worse is when one of the little kids (Samantha, 7, or Griffin,
5), then sighs, and answers, as if explaining a 'knock-knock' joke,
"Squares. Powers of two." in a dejected monotone.

So far, I'm 1 for 4. (A four page exposition on the difference between
integral and differential calc by John Allen Paulos has caused number 2
daughter to decide to double up on math sophomore year so she can take
calc as a senior.)

Other than Paulos, then, what are some ways to interest kids in the
technical side of things?

Whil