On 7/23/07, Michael Madigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I used to work on a DARPA program dedicated to
> lowering power requirements for computers.  It's
> amazing all the approaches that were taken.

Cool. I've been watching some of the videos for the OLPC project where
they are creating a 1 Watt computer system. The CPU goes into shutdown
and recovers in hundredths of milliseconds. They've combed through the
kernel code for "loop until something happens" code and replaced it
with sleeping code triggered by the event submission. Best of all, all
the changes are filtered back into the mainline kernel code where they
not only keep power requirements down on laptops, but servers and big
iron, too.

The power savings are amazing.

--
Ted Roche