>Bottom line: I would be hard pressed to find a reason to install and
>maintain dedicated fax software, pay for portion of server resources
>used (or pay for a dedicated fax server), pay for a bunch of regular
>phone lines, and pay a premium for fax transmissions when internet
>related fax services are so cheap, secure, and easy-to-use.

I just want the fax server to run on Linux; we aren't moving to Linux
workstations any time soon.

17 fax numbers currently in use x the 500 page/per month plan @ $39.95 is
$679.15 a month, or $8,149.80 a year. Not all of our numbers do 500 pages a
month, but several of them do much more than that. It's 1.2 cents per page
if you go over. Some amount of our faxes are long distance; we'd save those
charges--though we get very cheap long distance rates through Time-Warner
Telecom. So even very conservatively speaking, based on the information on
their website, Send2Fax would probably cost us $400 a month, or $4,800 a year.

Our phone "lines" are all on a T1 that we can break out any way we want--no
extra montly charge for more "lines". The 20 DID numbers we have at the
moment cost just a few bucks per month.

My one-time cost for the most expensive Windows-based fax networking system
on the planet would probably be around $10,000, including hardware.
Send2Fax does not sound like a good deal to me.

It appears that at least some faxes sent through Send2Fax (perhaps only the
HIPAA-compliant "secure" ones--which would be a high percentage of our
outgoing volume) can only be viewed by recipients by accessing the Send2Fax
website. Internet access on the part of recipients is not guaranteed. All
faxes have to be presumed to be delivered over ordinary phone lines to
ordinary fax machines.

Plus, Send2Fax does not provide an all-in-one client for acquiring fax
images from a scanner and sending them through the server. (Neither,
apparently, does Hylafax, though I've inquired about it.) A very high
percentage of the faxes we send are from paper, and the users absolutely
will not be able to cope with having to pull them in and edit them in a
generic imaging program before sending them on via the "print to fax" metaphor.

Thanks for responding, though.

Ken
www.stic-cil.org