(The problem: new XP workstation can connect to one of my NT4 servers
but not the other.)

"Things are the way they are because they got that way."

This is one of my favorite quotes when explaining to someone else how an
environment or an application could end up looking like such garbage. No
one wakes up one day and decides, "You know, I think I'm going to write
the worst piece of crap anyone has ever seen." They do their best, but
then.... things happen. Generally folks try to make the best decision
given the constraints and the resources at the time.

Such is an apt description of my (fading) Windows network. <bg>

My W2K thinkpad died last night. The drive had been making clicking
noises on and off for a couple of days, and last night the drive had
finally decided to call it quits.

That box and I have been through a lot; bought it just as W2K came out,
and it's been my primary VFP development environment ever since. Yes,
that's around 9 years. I'd say I got my money's worth out of it. (I
might dig around and try to replace the drive, but not today.)

So now I'm hooking my backup thinkpad, XP+FC6 dual boot, up to the
network, and I'm finding that not quite everything is the same. <g>

I have two NT4 servers; they used to be the backbone here; I'm migrating
functions off of them as time permits. They're basically mirrors of each
other; if one fails, I can switch over to the other in short order. I
should be off of them completely by EOY. (All my Fox development is
stored on the Linux file server, for example.) But I still need to
connect to the NT4 servers for the odd this and that.

One is a PDC, the other is a standalone box. My XP workstation can
connect to the PDC, but not the standalone. It can see the shares on the
standalone, but when I try to map an XP workstation drive to one of
those shares (like I had done with my W2K box), it tells me Access is
denied.

Specific steps (in explorer):
0. I'm logged into the XP workstation as 'whil', 'secretpw'
1. Drill down into My Network Places:
Entire Network
-- Microsoft Windows Network
---- hwdomain
------ standalonebox
-------- share1 on standalonebox
-------- share2 on standalonebox

2. Right click on "share1 on standalone box"

3. Select "Map network drive"

4. Choose drive "Z"

5. If I just click "Finish", I get a mapping to share1 on drive Z, but
when I try to click on drive Z, I get a Z is not accessible, Access is
denied.

6. If I Select "Connect as a different user" and enter credentials on
the standalone server ('whil_is_an_admin', 'adminpw'), I get a whole
slew of fairly confusing messages ("The network folder specified is
currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect
using a different user name and pw, first disconnect any existing
mappings to this network share.") and the errors cascade from there.

I'm not sure what the 'currently mapped using different username...' is
- how would I find out? How would I get rid of it? And so on?

Suggestions?

Whil