On 8/11/07, Mark Stanton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been thinking more about this, and I don't think there's more than
> one advantage there,

Think some more.

> > fields can be added,
>
> No more or less than with a table, surely.  Worse, if I'm trying to take
> fields *away* from tables, that'll break the views defined on them, which
> doesn't happen without the view.  You might claim that this only happens
> in a badly designed data scenario, though I would have to point out that
> situations evolve and require redesign.

I don't maintain views by hand, I use a set of programs to generate
and re-generate them for me. So, if I drop a field from a table, I can
regenerate the views to cope with it.

> > data normalized
>
> ??? Isn't this what data design is for?  And if you mean that tables can
> be joined and made to appear as one table, I'd say *that's* what I'm
> complaining about.  When I do anything other than view data the
> *appearance* falls apart leaving more to do than in the first place.  Is
> that appearance particularly helpful?

I may have lost track of the conversation here, but when I have used
updateable views, it was fairly easily to designate the one (and only)
table that would be updated from the view, while flagging the other
(non-updateable) fields (lookup values, totals, etc.).

> Though it p'raps doesn't sound like it, I'm trying to rant
> constructively.

Well, I've been hanging around.

>  I see the separation is potentially useful, I'm just
> starting to get the feeling that the table is in fact naked though it
> thinks it's clothed.  I'll have a deeper look at the CursorAdaptors since
> I'm (now) using VFP9.  The fact that I'm using CodeBook is probably a bad
> and good thing.  After the initial unpicking, it'll be easier to
> implement any change system-wide.

Codebook was written a long time ago. Some of the thoughts of the ways
to do things have evolved since then. Although it is possible to
develop a perfectly decent application in CodeBook. The trick is to
use the tools the way they were meant to be used.

> Anywhere I can find Andy Kramek's stuff?

Andy runs TightlineComputers of Ohio with his bride Marcia. A Google
ought to turn that up and a little browsing around the site ought to
turn up sample code. It did the last time I looked.

> You, Michael, & Steve have all talked about implementing something better
> via SQL, the VFP views are really SQL, so it looks like it's "just" a
> not-very-good implementation issue?

It's a "learn to use the tools and their limitations."

> D'you think something clever here will extend the Fox's life? 8-)

I hope not. The more work I do outside the Fox world, the more dated I
see some of FoxPro's designs. As a former collegue of mine used to
say, "Clever is a four-letter word."

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC