Leland F. Jackson, CPA wrote:
> Charles Hart Enzer, M.D. wrote:
>
>> I have found an answer.
>>

>> In the Outbound Hardware Firewall Rules:
>>

>> # Pass and Log ICMP Echo Request
>>
>> RulesPassICMP
>>
>> pass icmp-type request >> done, state, alert 0 [ICMP - Echo Request
>> - Pass] # Type: 8 (allow ping requests
>>

>> What dangers does this pose to my laptop?
>>

>> I don't want anyone to either Ping me nor Tracert me.
>>

>> At 11:47 PM 12/5/2007, you wrote:
>>
>> What Ports do I need to open in
>> my Router's FireWall so that I can PING out?
>>

>> Like:
>>
>>          pass protocol udp, to
>> port 22 >> state, done  # SSH
>>
>>          pass protocol tcp, to
>> port 22 >> state, done  # SSH
>>

>> PING works only when I open all Ports.
>>

>> Thank you.

Port 7 is designated for the echo service, which I was thinking ping
used, but perhaps not.

I decided to look into you question a little more, since this is
something I should know.  Based on my understanding of what I'm reading
on the Internet, the ping command lives in it own ICMP protocol world,
carried via the network layer (IP) protocol.   It seem from what I'm
getting from the Internet that ping does not use a port number, but
rather works within the ICMP protocol layer, which is apart from TCP.
So, like a web server can talk to a client browser using the HTTP
protocol, (e.g. language), or a mail server can communicate with a email
client using SMTP protocol, computers can communicate (e.g. talk across
the Internet using ICMP protocol over the IP protocol without the need
for a port number.  If there is any designated port for ping, I can't
find it.  Below is an excerpt with the source link:

#-------------------------------------------
It is the responsibility of the network layer (IP) protocol to ensure
that the ICMP message is sent to the correct destination. This is
achieved by setting the destination address of the IP packet carrying
the ICMP message. The source address is set to the address of the
computer that generated the IP packet (carried in the IP source address
field) and the IP protocol type is set to "ICMP" to indicate that the
packet is to be handled by the remote end system's ICMP client interface.

http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/course/inet-pages/icmp.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/9wwcr

Regards,