Paul M¢Nett wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> When I converted a couple VFP apps to MySQL, I went the SPT route which
> worked great. I chose the route of:
>
> 1) insert blank record
> 2) commit
> 3) get last_insert_id from backend
> 4) repopulate the spt cursor
>
> Today, I would generate my pk id's on the front end using GUIDs. While
> it is easy to let the backend handle this task, having the front end do
> it with GUIDs means you can have a totally disconnected design.

Agreed.  I used Paul's MakeUpdatable.prg as the basis at one point for
my code, despite his disclaimer about it not being used for production
code.  <g>

> Think offline views that actually work.

LOL....yes!  I've achieved that now, I think, especially with the
disconnect where I have to reconnect to the remote database on the web.
You can't do that with a VFP backend....always has to be connected or
VFP will freak out.  ymmv.

--Michael