From: Charlie Coleman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 12:44 PM
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: Tables in the Data Enviroment

At 10:06 AM 3/24/2008 -0500, Stephen Russell wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Mike yearwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
> > Hi David
> >
> > FoxPro never brings down the whole table. Although, if you have SET
> > DELETED ON and lots of deleted records, it may take time to skip over
> > those.
>
>Are you sure?  You need the entire index and depending on how you specified
>your request, you are going to get the WHOLE TABLE.  All of your processes
>are acted upon locally, not on a server.  So how do you not get your entire
>table?

<sigh> Steve, you still pushing your BS?

No, VFP does not bring down the whole table. Unless of course you request
the whole table (e.g. SELECT .... FROM ... WHERE 1 = 1).

For all practical purposes doing a USE <table>.... does not bring down the
whole table. The only exceptions I've seen to this is where the total table
size was small. I can't remember what the cutoff was. Maybe 64k? Even then,
since it's so small it's not really noticed. But my gigabyte-size tables
open in blip of time over a 100Mbps network.

-Charlie