http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124553
Or
http://tinyurl.com/26nmzk

The Business Case for Diesel
At present, Subaru's new diesel engine is destined only for Europe, but
Subaru is taking a wait-and-see approach to its introduction in Japan
and the U.S. At present, the engine will not meet California's stringent
air emissions regulations. "We would only introduce the car in the U.S.
if it was legal in every state," says Yamamoto. "Meeting the California
legislation is very hard and very expensive. We are researching it, but
there is no timetable." Subaru estimates that fitting the particulate
filter needed to make the engine fully compliant would add around $1,500
to the price of the car.

Nevertheless, Hirofumi Senoo, the general manager of Subaru's European
test center tells us, "Diesel is the main focus for the U.S. market. It
has more potential than hybrid gasoline engines because hybrids are only
good for the city." Subaru will let others take the lead in the
introduction of diesel to the U.S., but will be ready to strike if the
market becomes receptive.