Jack Skelley wrote:
> This is what modal is for when you have a pure VFP app. But in my case this
> is not true. There are other open apps that VFP is 'talking to' as long as
> the current window doesn't change all is good. But if user activates another
> window and I am trying to load window 'x' and window 'y' becomes active all
> quickly goes down hill.
> I am sure that my users do not know alt+tab as a kbd shortcut...
> Ok on the message box idea.
> Thanks for any ideas you have.

If a mouse gets an electric shock when it grabs food from slot b, it
learns to grab food from slot a instead.

So if really bad things happen if a user doesn't wait for a process to
finish, why not warn them with a message box and then if they forget,
that really bad thing will happen which will keep them from doing it
again in the future.

But I'd go back to the source of the problem. What about the design is
so fragile that it can't stand user interaction? I'd fix that design
problem instead of the symptom. So for instance, if you are interacting
with an IE window and it would be bad for the user to close that window
or pull up a different web page, you could disable it or make it
invisible for the critical time of the process. Or something.

Paul