On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 9:43 AM, John Weller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I apologise for asking VB questions here but I know some of the team have
> been dabbling with it and, as always, this seems the best place to get
> sensible answers.
>
> I have been concerned for some time about using VFP for applications for
> clients.  If I were to walk under a bus my clients would be left with
> applications that they couldn't get maintained easily due to the dearth of
> VFP programmers in UK so I have been looking at alternatives.  I am playing
> with VB 2008 Express and finding relatively straightforward as it is so
> similar to VFP in many ways.  I do have some fundamental questions though
> which I hope someone can answer - I've not been able to extract them from
> the MS sales verbiage!
>
> What is the difference between Standard and Professional Editions?
---------------------
Already given site for that info

> Can I create standalone exes for royalty free distribution in a similar
> manner to VFP?
----------------
Sure in WinForms as well as Web ones.

> What does the upgrade edition require - I have VFP 9 and Visual Studio 6,
> would they suffice?
-------------------------------------
Probably not.  I think it is off of VS2003, 2005

> I know I can connect to an Access or SQL Server database - can I connect to
> a VFP or Postgre SQL database?
--------------------------
Yep.  No problem.

> Can I buy VB.Net as a standalone or must I buy the full Visual Studio?
>
> Can anyone recommend a suitable forum to ask other questions, ideally as
> friendly and helpful as Profox or Foxite?
----------------------------

the UT is fair for .NET

To be honest I would buy Rocky's book http://www.lhotka.net/

Business Objects in VB and teh framework CSLA is a great heads up on
just what you can do with Visual Studio.  The framework is free and
the book covers a lot of it.

For getting help, there are hundreds of sites that post how to
projects.  Is there a site like this?  Nope.

I follow blogs now.  Because Visual Studio is so vast in what you can
do, I follow bloggers in a few areas.  Silverlight and WPF.

--
Stephen Russell
Sr. Production Systems Programmer

901.246-0159