On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 6:14 AM, Tracy Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I attended a .NET meeting in Asheville, NC last month.
> "Developer Centric Features of SQL Server 2008 by Kevin Boles who is an
> independent SQL Consultant and SQL Server expert as well as a SQL MVP."
>
> It's focus was mainly on SQL. One of the big points Kevin gave was using
> LINQ against Stored Procedures, and not letting it dynamically get data
> from the SQL server. He mentioned this was a large performance hit when
> it is dynamically getting the data.

It is generating a SP like syntax of it's own.

The only problem I found with Linq to SQL was identical named columns
in tables that you had a difficult time pulling it's contents.

We had 2 tables with very similar schema.  Guid, DisplayName, other
cols that fit the Carrier or the shipping Method for teh carriers.

So when I wanted to join the tables, and get both the DispalyName
columns back it had an issue. That bug was reported up to MS as will
be fixed in the next patch that they put out.

Now Linq to Objects is fantastic and most of you won't see it's
benefit because you hold data in local cursors.  Now the ability to
mix Linq to XML and Linq to SQL in a query is killer.  This is what
will drive Linq into the mainstream.

--
Stephen Russell
Sr. Production Systems Programmer