Interesting product John!

I loaded and ran Dude and learned that the SMC Barricade box I'm using as
a print server is shown as having ftp, dns, and pop3 services available
along with ping, http, and print services.  The ftp and pop3 services are
listed as down but dns is shown as active.  I wandered around the SMC
configuration but didn't find any way to turn off the dns.

My access to the print server configuration jogged my memory.  This box
consistently won't return a login screen until there have been three
attempts to access it from IE7.   Pinging responses with a copper link,
however, are consistently <1ms.

I'll need to do some more research to understand how Dude figures out
what services are available and just what it's plots mean.

Access to the NAT router at 10.0.0.254 when connected wirelessly through
the DI-524 comes and goes.  Last night it wouldn't respond to a ping but
now it does. The SMC at 10.0.0.200 has never responded over the wireless
link from the DI-524.

This post needs to be trimmed but the original description is still
critical to understanding the problem so I'm wiping everything beyond
Jon's suggestion of Dude and then dropping in the original description.
An earlier post will allow review of my dialog with Michael.

Thanks - Joe

On Monday, December 01, 2008  9:41 PM, John wrote:

>Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 20:41:47 -0600
>From: John
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>cc:
>Subject: RE: [NF] Using a D-Link wireless router as an Access Point
>
>Do a google search on "the dude" it is some freeware that has some great
>tools built in for detecting devices on a network.
>
>John Harvey

Original post:

I am using a D-Link DI-524 as an access point on a network that already
has a NAT router to the Internet as well as DHCP and DNS servers in
another box. The device is setup with a static IP address and connected
to the LAN via one of the LAN ports.

When my laptop is plugged into one of the LAN ports it is able to access
a print server at 10.0.0.200 and the other router at 10.0.0.254 along
with the file server at 10.0.0.1 and a work station at 10.0.0.14.

When the laptop is connected over the wireless link, It usually cannot
access the router or print server (Request timed out) but can access the
file server and other workstation. To complicate things further there
have been several times when the router at 10.0.0.254 has temporarily
been accessible over the wireless link.

I have used this same configuration with other wireless routers without a
problem.  I Emailed D-Link support and they wanted me to talk to a
technician.  When I did so, I was told I need to call another number and
pay for advanced support.

Does someone have an idea about what could be causing this behavior?
Suggestions for  a workaround?