Hey - - - - -

My current web app has an eCommerce aspect, for which we need to do
web-based credit card processing.

I have found this process among the most frustrating of my
professional life. The processing company has been as unresponsive
beyond belief. It has taken us *months* just to get a vendor ID, and
their technical folks have yet to get me basic technical information,
much less sample code. This is with a vendor with which my client has
a long-term and *exclusive* agreement, so it is not like they are
still checking out their mutual credit ratings. For some reason, e
needed a separate vendor ID for the department with which I'm working.

Another developer suggested we use a "gateway" company. That these
companies already have 'copy-and-paste" code in PHP, and are
certified already to interact with the CC processor companies,
including the one with which I must work. He portrayed the
certification process (by which the bank says I am technically OK,
encrypting what i need to encrypt, passing the right values at the
right time, etc.) as taking 3 - 6 *months.*

Anybody out there have experience with interacting with CC processing
companies? Gateway providers? Our Processor: Chase PaymenTech?

Advice, real-world experience (and the usual WAGs) appreciated.

Ken