Bastards!  I can't believe they are taking secret photos of me!

Actually, telling my kids the truth about Insanity Claws was the first major
battle I had with my first wife.  I stated that if asked I would tell the
truth about the Great Fable.  She felt they ought to enjoy believing in the
Gift Of Christmas for as long as they could be kept believing.  Well, when
the day came when my daughter asked me about Insanity Claws I asked what she
thought.  "I think you and mom are Santa Claus", said she.  "No, Jessica, I
am not Santa Claus, but he is a great friend of mine..."  Thus began the
spinning of two stories for both my kids that to this day I ought to get
copyrighted and published.  I share them below for your reading and sharing
pleasure.  I ask only y'all give credit for the yarns to this crazy ProFox
guy, Gil... <g>...

Gil and Santa Claus, as told by Gilbert M. Hale...

-------------------------------------

Yes, kids, Santa is a good friend of mine.  I got to know him after he
started to have problems delivering presents to more and more children each
Christmas night.  See, he had to travel around the entire world, and with
more and more kids being born each day, every year it got to be harder to
get the job done.  And Santa is getting older, so he is slowing down a bit
anyway.

So Santa sent out a request to all the engineers, inventors and tinkerers in
the world, asking for help in updating his sled so he could get around the
world faster.  He got a tremendous response from all corners of the globe.
One engineering team tried to strap some rockets to the skids of his sled.
But in the trial run it turned out to make a horrible noise that scared the
reindeer, and scorched a few of them.  They ended up pooping out of fright
all over the sled and each other.  So that did not work out very well.

Another person suggested using more reindeer, but that just made all of the
reindeer more lazy because none of them had to work as hard, and it was
easier to get away with not pulling their fair share of the sled.  Besides,
more reindeer did not make the sled go faster as reindeer can only go so
fast under even the best of circumstances (or can they?)...

Another person felt Santa ought to start using large elves to help deliver
presents in additional sleighs, but Santa was afraid they would end up
stealing and selling all the gifts.  You just can't trust an elf unless you
watch them like a hawk, you know!  Besides, Santa is the one who is supposed
to deliver the gifts, not some dumb elf.

After some more really dumb ideas, and everybody wanting to charge Santa for
their crazy ideas, I finally got a chance to meet with Santa.  He had all
but given up hope, and wearily invited me to fly up tie North Pole for a
quick meeting.  I flew up as far as I could, and took a Husky team the rest
of the way.  It was cold, and I brought only a few days' of clothing with
me.  No plans, fancy drawings, nor even a request for money paid in advance.
No, what I had to offer was going to be made for free as it would help Santa
help little kids all over the world.  I am not a greedy person, I really
wanted to help.

I met Santa, and after he invited me to sit he asked me what my great idea
was.  "Polar Bears," I replied.  "What?  Why we can't use Polar Bears.  They
would be too hard to control.  And they would eat the reindeer," Santa
replied.  "True, they are hard to control, unless their attention is kept in
focus.  And with heavy duty harnesses they would be easy to control with
their attention properly focused.  See, Santa, you hook the Polar Bears up
to the sleigh behind the reindeer.  Make certain the Polar Bears are a bit
hungry, and let the reindeer see the hungry Polar Bears hooked up behind
them when it is time to hook up the rein deer.  The idea is to have the
Polar Bears chase the reindeer to try to eat them, and for the reindeer to
try really hard to run away from the Polar Bears so they do not get eaten!"

"Brilliant!", said Santa.  So we had an environmentally friendly solution
where we used animals and no chemicals.  The plan worked so well that Santa
was able to deliver all of the gifts to all the children in the world so
fast that he had to actually slow down a take a break so we would not "catch
the sun" and start delivering gifts during the daytime on the other side of
the world.

And that, dear children, is how your dad got to be such good friends with
Santa.  But, it is supposed to be a secret.  And speaking of secrets, if you
are real good and go to sleep I will tell you a secret Santa told me about
Rudolph!

----------------------------------

The next night I told the kids about Rudolph.

Do you kids know how Rudolph got his red nose?  And why the other reindeer
were really teasing him?  Well, this is a secret from Santa, so don't go
telling anyone.  Here is what really happened.  Rudolph had a bad habit of
going pottie and poopie in Santa's house.  Santa kept rubbing his nose in
the mess each time he caught Rudolph doing that.  The other reindeer were
laughing about Rudolph's going where he ought not go, and after a while
Rudolph's nose was so raw and sore that it got real red, glowingly red in
fact.  So the other reindeer were teasing Rudolph for being a pottie-head,
and how he got his red nose.  Not for having a red nose.

Rudolph is still a pottie-head!

My kids, now grown, still love re-telling those stories during our "remember
when" moments...  I can't wait to start corrupting my grandkids when that
day comes.  heh-heh...

Gil