Greetings all!

I am seeking input from my associates re: a project that is actually for me
this time.

I picked up a Mac Mini the other month, and have yet to deploy it in my
office, although that was the intent.  It kind of made its way into the
living room for testing with the new NetFlix capability of using both IE and
FireFox, and now for both Windows XP/Vista and Mac OS X, for on demand
movies over a high speed Internet connection.  It has worked well for that
purpose with the wide-screen TV/Monitor, but represents a huge waste of the
investment into the Mac Mini, as well as not allowing me to deploy the Mac
where I intended it to go anyway.

The other week Lynda (wife) ordered an Asus 900 Netbook (Notebook) from
BestBuy.com.  Initially I snickered as usually these Netbooks are so
pathetic in terms of delivering the kind of punch I felt I need.  But when
it arrived I set it up and am now a believer that weaker CPUs with the 1Gb
of RAM this unit shipped with (I still pumped it up to 2Gb RAM, just cuz),
with a 120Gb HDD, can actually be useful.  I was so impressed with the unit,
and the Sale Price of $249, that I ordered two more, but with the Atom CPU
for hyperthreading capability as opposed to her Celeron M CPU.  I also got
160Gb HDD and a 10" screen as opposed to her 9" screen.  I must admit that I
like her smaller unit more, just out of appreciation of its power in such a
nice and small package.  Also, the Atom CPU runs at 1.6Ghz as opposed to her
Celeron M at 900Mhz.  The Atom handles hyerthreading.  But side by side I
can not detect any practical difference in performance, although I am still
running with the basic 1Gb RAM for now.  Okay, on to the matter at hand now
that you have some background...

I figured the Asus 1000HD unit I got for myself (the other one is for a
friend of ours) will never replace my current HP notebook I travel with
(1024 x 768 for the HP notebook vs 1024 x 600 for the Asus netbook), but
will come in handy for demo and projects I do not want to run on my regular
notebook for "whatever" reason.  When not in use I plan to use the Asus with
NetFlix instead of the Mac Mini, so I can now deploy the Mac where initially
intended - as my replacement primary eMail and communication PC instead of
replacing my older AMD 1800 PC used for that purpose with yet another
Windows PC.

So, the question...  My AMD 1800, 2Gb RAM, eMail/Communication PC is running
M$ Office 2000 with Outlook being used for my eMail, Calendar and Contact
Management management.  I have both Mac Office 2004 and Mac Office 2007
available to use with the Mac Mini.  I retain eMails, with attachments, form
clients for very long periods of time.  My Outlook.pst file is archived via
Outlook every few months, but is still weighing in at a swollen 571Mg in
size!  And it is working well.  For all the bad things I could say about M$,
I must admit I have never had any problems with Outlook 2000, other than
performance at rare times - but that is obviously self-inflicted given the
size of the Outlook.pst file.

My concern is that in the Mac (or Linux) I may never get that kind of
application reliability with the amount of info I retain.  I need to know if
anyone has any opinion about any Mac OS X compatible Mac eMail, Calendar and
Contact Management apps, to include the Mac Office offerings, that they have
heard or found to be reliable and easy to deal with as Outlook.

Many thanks in advance.

Gil

Gilbert M. Hale

g...@gilhale.com

585-359-8085 - Office (Rolls To Cellular)
585-202-4341 - Cellular/VoiceMail

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---