You're 100% right, I think it's one of VFP's few downsides. I wish
there was a way to *enforce* case sensitivity with variables in VFP
(consistency is a good thing).

To some extent, perhaps I'd even like to see strict data typing,
although I wouldn't want to lose macro expansion and other cool
tricks as a result.

Whenever I spend lots of time working in C/C++, and switch back to
VFP, and see my all my unintentional inconsistencies with case, and
who knows about data typing mistakes, it makes me shudder. It's the
only major limitation in my mind of VFP, but then again, I'm willing
to bet most other VFP coders probably see it as a big advantage. I
just wish there was an option to support both ways.