From: profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com [mailto:profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com] On
Behalf Of Vince Teachout
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 4:09 PM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: Re: [NF] Unexpected SQL result - why?

Richard Kaye wrote:
> IIRC when VFP builds the result cursor, the SQL engine uses the values in the
> first row it finds to determine the data structure. This can result in
> truncated information.

Yes, I'm pretty familiar with that, but I've only seen that where you're
selecting from a field.

With a VFP back-end, if you specify the length with a literal, it
respects the length.  This is what actually bit my colleague.  This was
code originally written by someone else for a VFP back-end, years ago,
and it started to fail when the same SQL command was ported over to SQL
Server.