100vg kicks ass.  Totally collision free vs collision-resend 10/100BaseT(x),
which yields a minimum net effective transmit/receive speed of 98mps, and
the loss is only due to processor overhead, not to collision detect-resend
issues.  Up to 200 meters Cat5 between 5 devices vs 100m total distance max
between 10/100BaseT(x) devices, up to 7.2km between devices with Fiber-Optic
devices, up to 5 layers depth with devices.  But, it did not last long
enough to get into gigabit speeds.  Had it done so it would have smoked
current gigabit technology.  Then again, using today's Ethernet switches
does get us some nice speed finally.  Collisions are better managed as
opposed to earlier switches, much less older Ethernet hubs (yuck!).

It is what it is, and after many years of holding onto 100vg NICs and
equipment I did purchase a set of gigabit switches a few months ago.  My
newest set of Servers and PCs have come with gigabit interfaces, so I am
starting to plug them into gigabit switches.  I am still bridging the
gigabit switches into the 100vg backbone, as I have the equipment to bridge
between the two technologies seamlessly.  But the day is coming where I will
be totally gigabit.  I fought this battle long enough, and 100vg served me
well.  But gigabit has finally come into mainstream Techie Land deeply
enough to where I can no longer ignore it.  Shame.  But think of all the tax
write-off $$$ I am going to get for "scrapping" the outdated 100vg equipment
I have on hand!  Heh-heh, a real convenient way to get my Inventory balance
$$$ stabilized after years of swings at beginning/end of year...  In fact,
it ought to get my inventory to $0, as it is all I have kept on hand anyway.

IMHO HP really dorked the 100vg marketing by ignoring the concerns being
voiced by a group they deemed to be nay-sayers.  A lot of buildings in
corporate USA had been wired in the early-mid 90s for 10BaseT, often as an
upgrade from coaxial LAN cabling already.  10BaseT only requires 4 wires in
its Cat3/5 cable (2 pairs).  So 4 wires would be used for LAN, and that left
4 left over wires to use for Telco units.  100BaseT also uses 4 wires, the
same 4 as 10BaseT.  So an upgrade to 100BaseTx, assuming one had Cat5 in
place, was a no-brainer.  Just use the same cabling...

100VG was technically superior to 100BaseTx, and it was easy to prove.
Nobody refuted that, but 100vg required all 8 wires in a Cat5 cable.  On the
surface it seemed using all 8 Cat5 cable wires for the LAN would mean all
these building would have to be recabled for the Telco equipment, right?
Wrong, not if one used technology to resolve the apparent issue.

That "You have to recable everything for 100vg" was the FUD being tossed
around by the 100BaseTx camp.  HP felt it was no big deal, and pointed out
the signal frequency difference between Telco signals and 100vg signals was
quite different, and the Cat5 cable could be used to handle both with the
proper frequency splitter from a company called Global Electronics.  Did HP
bother to include those frequency splitting devices, much less an
explanation of what the furor was really all about, in their packaging?  No.
They depended on their hapless sales reps to fight that battle, and worse
yet HP offered both 100BaseTx and 100vg.  So at the first hint of resistance
their Sales Reps folded and put their customers into the inferior 100BaseTx
technology to keep from introducing an objection that could cost them a deal
at all.  And so down went 100vg, right over the edge because HP incorrectly
assumed the IT world would understand what signal splitting was, as well as
executive managers who were being hit left and right by the 100BaseTx folks
(including HP's own more ignorant and/or self-serving Sales Reps) spouting
off about the need to recable everything for 100vg.  Idiots!

Gil