I suppose that if I ran all the "protections" within Vista made available,
and hung my AntiVirus/AntiMalware/AntiAnti apps onto the machine, along with
both a hardware and software firewall that really tightened things down I
could perhaps still be able to read from, and maybe even still write to, the
files on my own local hard drive.  Maybe I could even read or play various
CD or DVD media.  But would I be able to do anything effective with
connectivity to a network, to include Internet access?  I am surmising the
level of "security" has a lot to do with the ability of the machine to do
anything at all, other than open a few local, benign and relatively useless
apps.  "It is totally secure, but it does not do anything that could hurt
it.  It does not run."

A Windows machine that is so hamstrung that it is indeed "secure", yet can't
be used for much of anything, is not of any value to me.  When I run my
Linux and Mac OS X machines I fear nothing, other than the possibility of a
hardware failure.  But I keep things backed up on a scheduled basis, so the
exposure to loss of data is at least as minimal as with my Windows based
machines that I keep backed up to an almost insane degree.  I trust the
security on my Linux and Mac machines, as it is inherently built into the
very core of the OS, as opposed to the Windows bolt-on, add apps, based
"security solution" afterthought.  I still do not trust security on my
Windows machines, despite all the protections I have in place, as I know
something can still sneak into my machinery if I am careless with the web
sites I visit.

I wonder if anyone is going to challenge MS's claim that Vista and W7 are
the most secure OS platforms on the planet.  I guess a clever attorney for
MS would say, "He never said which planet, did he?" <g>

Gil