There was a hand-held computer prototype that worked with a gun sight that ran
windows 2000.  It took forever for the gun to boot. LOL   Some colonel insisted
that Windows 2000 remain the OS.  Luckliy, I don't think it was ever fielded.
Clearly a customized Linux OS would have been the better option.

The Love of Microsoft is deeply ingrained in the Government.