MB Software Solutions, LLC wrote:
> I've got a VFP9SP1 app that's storing data by default in the AppData
> folder (C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MBABCOCK\APPLICATION
> DATA\EMAILEXTRACT2009\).
>
> However, this folder isn't visible to the user, so it's not easy for
> them to retrieve files created there.
>
> I'm thinking I'll use a different folder, but I just wondered why this
> isn't visible to the end-user?  Perhaps this folder is meant for
> internal-use data and not for the user to go meddling????   ;-)

See the other thread. It is another stupid design decision. Ever notice that
Temporary Internet Files is hidden to the user, too?

The only other logical place would be in the user's My Documents directory,
which is
easily findable by even the most newbie of users.

I actually wish that I'd done that for my app, too. I save a bunch of files in
the
user's appdata directory, but have a hell of a time telling someone how to
retrieve
them to email them to me. I can't even make a simple document explaining the
process.
With the needed screenshots, that simple document is over 6 pages, when it
should be
as simple as:

1) Open Windows Explorer (My Computer)
2) Find My Documents/Application Data and dbl-click on "My App"
3) attach files x and y to an email to me

I only put the files in the hidden appdata directory because that was the best
practice at the time. To this day I'm not sure where I'm supposed to install an
application for use only by a single user. Can't go in Program Files, because
the
user can't write there. Only logical place is My Documents, but that's supposed
to be
for Documents, not programs.

To be fair, my Windows and Mac installations save the appdata to the user's
home
directory, in the hidden .appname directory there. So explaining where to find
it to
a newbie on those platforms wouldn't be simple, either. But at least it is
underneath
their 'home' directory, where their file browser defaults to, instead of in c:
(or
whatever drive your system is on)\Documents and
Settings\whatever-your-user-name-is-even-if-you-don't-know-yourself-because-this-is-hidden-from-you-usually\Application

Data (if you don't find Application Data it is because it is hidden) blah blah.

So the simple answer to your question is, I have no idea why they went to such
great
lengths to hide data from you, data that you have security rights to edit, that
you
might be interested in. It is aggravating.

Paul