Ten years ago I was leading a team building a low level debugging tool
that integrated with the Mercury Interactive tool suite (WinRunner,
LoadRunner, etc.). Originally we wrote the guts of the UI and COM
integration code in Delphi 5, then we converted it to C++ Builder 5.
The core debugging capability was in C. The company was strapped for
cash and was too principled to seek angel investors. :(

Wow, time flies. Now I'm building a killer extensible practice
management platform in .NET (C#) and a collaborative creative writing
tool in Delphi 2010. Both on my own, from the comfort of my home.

On the first project, I'm using a very awesome ORM+BLL framework
called DataObjects.net from www.x-tensive.com. It blows Entity
Framework and every other competitor out of the water. I was Skyping
with the developers in Ekaterinburg Russia who wrote it right up until
their New Years and somewhat beyond---one was even nice enough to call
another Ekaterinburg friend from the early 90's and wish him Happy New
Year on my behalf, since I was getting nothing but busy signals using
the regular phone.

- Publius