From: profox-boun...@leafe.com [mailto:profox-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf
Of kamcgin...@gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:22 AM
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: [NF] network traffic software (free preferable)

I can't pass up this opportunity to throw a jab at comcast. Once I thought
that PacBell was the worst communication
company but Comcast proved they were the winner of that title. I was on the
SF peninsula at that time.

Back to your note, I am not sure if this will be of any value, but because
of so much trouble like you describe, we now
have the ISP set their device to 'bridge' mode. That way it won't cause any
trouble. Then we connect something like a
SMC 7004 broadband router which is very easy to program and allows you to
turn the ping response on and off, block
ports, DHCP, etc. You have control. At any time you can check the status of
the SMC 7004 and see if you have an internet
connection and see a log of who connected when, illegal connection tries,
etc.